Hortatory exposition is a type of spoken or written text that is intended to explain the listeners or readers that something should or should not happen or be done.
Hortatory exposition text can be found in scientific books, journals, magazines, newspaper articles, academic speech or lectures, research report etc.
Hortatory expositions are popular among science, academic community and educated people.
To strengthen the explanation, the speaker or writer needs some arguments as the fundamental reasons of the given idea. In other words, this kind of text can be called as argumentation.
Hortatory Exposition is a type of English text that influences its readers to do something or act in certain way”.
Jadi yang dimaksud dengan hortatory exposition adalah jenis teks bahasa Inggris yang berisi argumentasi tentang sesuatu dengan harapan pembaca terpengaruh untuk melakukan sesuatu dengan cara tertentu.
Tujuan Hortatory Exposition
To persuade the readers that something should or should not be the case or be done.
Tujuan komunikatif Hortatory Exposition adalah untuk mempengaruhi atau membujuk pembaca atau pendengar bahwa sesuatu yang menjadi fokus pembicaraan seharus atau tidak seharusnya terjadi sehingga pembaca terpengaruh untuk melakukan atau tidak melakukan sesuatu tersebut.
Generic Structure Hortatory Exposition
Thesis : Statement or announcement of issue concern
Arguments : Reasons for concern that will lead to recommendation
Recommendation : Statement of what should or should not happen or be done based on the given arguments
- Thesis : Pemaparan tentang keprihatinan sebuah masalah yang sedang terjadi di sekitar kita.
- Argument :Pada bagian ini penulis akan berusaha menyampaikan beberapa argumentasi atau alasan yang tujuannya tidak lain adalah agar pembaca terpengaruh dan meyakini yang seharusnya itu bagaimana.
- Recommendation : Bagian terakhir dari generic structure hortatory exposition adalah pernyataan apa yang seharusnya atau tidak seharusnya terjadi atau dilakukan, yang biasa disebut saran (rekomendasi).
Language features /Ciri ciri bahasa
1. Using Simple Present Tense
2. Using modals
3. Using action verbs
4. Using thinking verbs
5. Using adverbs
6. Using adjective
7. Using technical terms
8. Using general and abstract noun
9. Using connectives/transition
Pola tata bahasa yang umum dalam Hortatory Exposition Text meliputi:
Fokusnya pada manusia dan non-manusia yang generik.
Penggunaan kata-kata penyesalan pada argument, biasanya menggunakan kata should atau should not.
Menggunakan simple present tense
Menggunakan Action verbs: value, dll.
Menggunakan temporal Connectives: firstly, secondly, thirdly, dll.
Menggunakan evaluative words; importanly, valuablly, trustworthly, dll.
Then what is the basic difference between analytical and hortatory exposition?
In simple word. Analytical is the answer of “How is/will” while hortatory is the answer of “How should”. Analytical exposition will be best to describe “How will student do for his examination? The point is the important thing to do. But for the question” How should student do for his exam?” will be good to be answered with hortatory. It is to convince that the thing should be done.
Contoh Teks Hortatory Exposition
Never Try Smoking
- A lot ofpeople, especially teenagers, who do not smoke, always want to try smoking. They know it is bad for them and all, but it is just something they want to try. So they ask one of their smoker friends for a cigarette. Admittedly, they firstly can not light it on their own so they ask his friend to do it. Then they inhale that cigarette and smoke occasionally.
- Apparently that makes them the born smokers. Now they do smoke fairly regularly. They can not avoid smoking and they enjoy too. They have smoker friends. Everyday they bring a pack in their pocket. For them, a pack of cigarette is as important as a wallet for their money.
- Suddenly, for certain reason, they realize the fact that tobacco is the cause of a long list of nasty diseases. It is not only heart disease, stroke, and chronic lung disease but also bladder, lung, and pancreatic cancer. Even it was reported that around 400,000 Americans died each year. It was one every 80 seconds from tobacco-related illnesses.
- Then they decide it is stupid to harm selves. They want to quit smoking. Unfortunately, they find that quitting smoking is so difficult. “Why can’t I stop smoking? I really want to stop it”. It is hard to quit because nicotine is powerfully addictive. Cigarette is one of the most efficient drug-delivery devices ever devised. As result, when people try to quit smoking, they often experience classic nicotine withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, irritability, headache, depression, and restlessness.
- Well, still want to try smoke? Think the facts before trying! If you are not smoker, you should never and never try to smoke.
Paragraf 1 dan 2 adalah Thesis, menerangkan keprihatinan penulis terhadap adanya “gejala atau fakta” sebagian orang (fokus pada manusia) terutama anak remaja yang merokok.
Paragraf 3 dan 4 adalah Argument, menerangkan argumentasinya tentang bahaya merokok bagi kesehatan.
Paragraf terakhir adalah Recomendation, memberikan rekomendasi atau saran kepada pembaca yang belum merokok agar jangan sekali-kali mencoba.
Country Concern / Kepedulian Negara
In all discussion over the removal of leaded vehicles from petrol (and atmosphere) there doesn’t seem to have been any mention of the difference between driving in the city and the country.
While I realize my leaded petrol car is polluting the air wherever I drive, I feel that when you travel through the country, where you only see another car every five to ten minutes, the problem is not as severe as when traffic is concentrated on city roads.
Those who want to penalize older, leaded petrol vehicles and their owners don’t seem to appreciate that in the country there is no public transport to fall back upon and one’s own vehicle is the only way to get about.
I feel that country people, who often have to travel huge distances to the nearest town and who already spend a great deal of money on petrol, should be treated differently to the people who live in the city.
Corruption / Korupsi
Do you know what the meaning of corruption is? What is the relation between money and corruption? Well, corruption is common everywhere in the world, even in the United States. It’s just a matter of intensity. However, it is quite shocking when one reliable survey claims Jakarta as the most corrupt place in Indonesia.
The survey has made me sad, actually, because I stay and earn a living here in the capital. As most people know, Tanjung Priok port smuggling is not a new thing at all. Entrepreneurs who want to minimize their tax payments tend to do such a thing more often. They even bribe the officials.
Well, I think the measures taken so far to overcome the problem by punishing the corruptors is still not far enough. We have to prevent the younger generations from getting a bad mentality caused by corruption.
I believe we should start at the earliest stages in school and I think everyone should be involved in the effort to eradicate corruption. We must not make any distinction.
Where should be after High School?
The National examination result will be publicly enounced in next short time. Euphoria will flood for those who get success. In the other hand, It will be sorry to hear that there are some of them do not succeed in their national final examination. For those who succeed soon will think to decide; where will they be after graduating high school? Actually it will be easy to decide for those has been arranged and thought earlier but for those have not planed yet, it will be quite confusing.
Continuing study or looking for work is the primary choice among them. When they think about continuing study, they will think hard about the time and cost. How long the higher study will last? And how high is about the cost. In the same way, when they think about straightly seeking job, what skill and competence they have got is a big matter of questioning. So, doing both choices in the same time is an alternative.
Continuing study as well as seeking job is possibly done but it will be hard for them. Conventionally studying in the university needs much time to spend especially in the first year. It is true because they have to do and adapt a lot of things in their new higher school. it will be very hard to looking for job. Therefore it should come to their mind of continuing studying at higher school from their own home. As result, the available
Internet for students
Nowadays, in modern era, I think internet is very important for students.
As we all know internet has many function for supporting our life. They are, first, it gives us various information, news, knowledge etc. Students can search anything or something from internet. Take for example, they search about education, entertainment, knowledge etc that is in the world.
Second, they can add their friends in all countries in the world by internet. Chatting, e-mail, facebook, twitter, interpals are some examples of internet facility to have many friends. Besides, they can share, communicate, discuss and so on.
From my arguments above, as student, we should use internet facility well to get knowledge, friends, information etc.
Is it important to know what your kids are watching? Of course it is. Television can expose your children to things that you have tried to protect them from, especially violence, drug abuse, etc.
One study demonstrated that watching too much TV during the day or at bedtime often causes bedtime resistance, sleep onset delay and anxiety around sleep, followed by shortened sleep duration.
Another study found a significant association between the amount of time spent watching television during adolescence and early adulthood, and the like hood of subsequent aggressive acts against others.
Meanwhile, many studies have found an association between kids watching a lot of TV, being inactive and overweight.
Considering some facts above, protect your children with some following tips:
Limit television viewing to 1-2 hours each day.
Do not allow your children to have a TV set in their bedrooms.
Review the ratings of TV shows that your children watch.
Watch television with your children and discuss what is happening during the show.